Pages

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Cycle Time Again

I don't think it is a secret to many that Dusty and I have been trying to have kids for the past few years. During the past we have attempted clomid (about 5 times), 2 IUI's (intra-uterine insemination) , 1 IVF (in-vitro fertilization) cycle, 2 FET (frozen embryo transfer) cycles. The first IVF cycle and the 2nd FET cycle worked and I miscarried both. The second miscarriage was very hard for me, and I can count on less than 1 hand the number of people who knew, until now. That was so devastating because they were the last embryos.

We have been extremely blessed to have insurance cover much of these procedures, and we are very grateful for that. Fertility insurance is hard to come by, so we have tried to use it effectively. We decided to try again while we had insurance at least to store embryos as the extraction and fertilization processes are very expensive.

We began the 2 month process and in May did all the wonderful shots, and appointments. The Dr.'s monitored me very carefully, and I had 6 appointments in 7 days and then had one day off and on 5/26 I had 14 eggs extracted. 9 were mature and 8 fertilized. All eight were frozen on day 1. Last time we froze 4 blastocysts at day 5.

We elected not to transfer any embryos due to the horrible experience I had last time with OHSS. This allows me a chance to get healthy before we transfer. I can still feel that my ovaries are enlarged, but that will be fixed in another week or so. Below is a picture of one of my ovaries on day 8. All the black dots are developing follicles which hold the eggs. Typically, only one big black dot would be seen, but you can see that I have many more than just 1. The follicles must measure about 18-20mm to have mature eggs. The bigger ones here I think were measuring about 10-12mm.

1 comment:

HeaDo said...

I've got my fingers crossed for you Shirley! I truly hope this will be the last time you have to go through this! - Heather