Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Holiday Baking

I always do a little holiday baking, but this year, I wanted to try a few new things.  Almond Roca, and Bon Bons.

First, I tried Almond Roca.  My mom makes this every year to perfection and I always get to enjoy some.  This delicious treat is fabulous if made right, and not so fabulous otherwise.  Cook it too long, and it taste burnt, and cook it too short and it is sticky and chewy.  In past years, I have tried and ruined it both ways.  My Mom insists on cooking it until it starts to burn and smoke.  I trusted her this year, and it worked.  It turned out perfect!

Second, I tried Bon Bons.  These are chocolate covered peanut butter balls.  This is a family favorite and always made by my aunt Julie.  She makes tons of these every year, I mean in the hundreds.  I made about 50, and I will first thank my aunt for making these.  They are a little complicated, and very time consuming to first grind all the ingredients into dust, roll all the little balls, and dip them all in chocolate.  Mine turned out great.  It took a few dippings to get the temperature of the chocolate right, and develop my own technique, but they look almost as good as Aunt Julie's.

I then made fudge, which I usually make; however, it turned out horrible this year.  It is crumbly and gritty.  Probably won't be delivering much of that :(.

I still plan to make Spritz cookies, and hope to get those done tonight.  I have made them a few times this year already, and I love them.