We came back from the Lybbert family reunion a tad bit early so I could attend Scuba School. Scuba School consists of 4 classroom lectures in the evening, 2 days in the pool, and 2 days in Puget Sound, and completion of chapter review answers from a book and a written test. The whole process takes about 2 weeks.
I think I already wrote about Diver's fair in the post "Officially from Seattle," but Dusty purchased all my gear at the fair, so I was obligated to like Scuba diving. My class was very large, and we had a lot of kids in it. If I would have done it over, I would have made sure I took the course with a different instructor and with a smaller class. The class sessions were kind of boring, and gears totally to tropical divers, but we learned the basics.
I was very nervous for the pool. We were able to practice skills like flooding/clearing masks, breathing on a regulator, learning to float just the right amount, sharing air with a buddy in case of an emergency, descending into the water and clearing ears (I had a hard time with this one at first). We also practiced entries into the water like a giant stride (jumping), seated entry (sliding in). The pool was very fun, and I learned that Scuba tanks are a lot lighter under water :). I was also very thankful to have my own equipment and learn how it all operates. Thanks Honey!
We got home, and Dusty taught me how to clean all my gear. (not quite as fun as actually diving).
The next weekend, we ventured into the Puget Sound. The first day we went to Redondo Beach which is right next to our house. They are digging a sewer line out to Vashon Island not to far from where were diving, and the visibility was VERY bad. For my first dive, I will admit that I was terrified. I had to figure out how to do the skills in 7-14 mm of neoprene and gloves, and we couldn't see more than about two feet in front of us. After that day, I told Dusty that I wasn't sure I liked diving.
The next day, my instructor decided not to go back to Redondo due to the low visibility, and we went to Three Tree Point in Burien. It was a long walk down to the beach in heavy gear, but WOW. The diving there was so cool. We could actually see things. We saw a rat fish, sculpin, anemones, sea stars, a ling cod, and lots of other stuff that I don't know they were. I decided I like diving, and am itching to get back in the water. Below are some photos of my Scuba experience.
Setting up the Scuba system
Getting dressed. It is much more difficult than it seems. 14mm of neoprene is awfully thick.
All ready to go. I am dying to get in the water because all this stuff is so heavy.
Putting on my fins for the snorkel dive. This is one of the hardest skills for me. It is very difficult to keep your balance in water on one foot in 14mm of neoprene and even harder with a Scuba tank on your back!
Here we are in the water shortly before we went under.
No comments:
Post a Comment