Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Grant County Fair

The day after the rodeo, we decided to back to the fair. It was very interesting to compare the fair to the Clark County fair where I grew up. The animals were similar, but I think Grant County has more, the rides are similar, they both have delicious elephant ears, but some of the differences are the Grant Country fair sells space burgers, and they advertise Hay balers, and the Clark county fair advertises RV's and Pools. The commercial buildings at the Clark county fair are far superior to the Grant county, but the gardening stuff and animals exceed the Clark County.

Funny Story - We were walking through the Pig Barns, and a little boy asked us if we wanted to go in his pigs cage. We declined but chatted for a minute. He told me the name for his pig next year would be Pork Chop, and I asked him if he was bring the same pig back next year, and nonchalantly, he stated "No, he dies tomorrow." I thought it was crazy that a child could care so little that is pig was would be dead in less than 24 hours, but I guess that is the farming life

Dusty enjoying the pigs before the slaughter

We had a great time, and I will admit, space burgers are pretty tasty. Apparently, they originated at the World Fair in Seattle in the 60's, and they developed them in accordance with the space needle. Essentially, a space burger is two slices of cheap enriched white bread filled sealed in a circle filled with seasoned ground beef, thousand island dressing, and shredded lettuce. They are very simple, and are made with the same machines used in the 60's, and actually taste pretty good. Dusty determined it is worth it to drive to Moses Lake to go to the fair just for a space burger.

We also got to spend some great time with Grandma Libby. We stayed at her home and enjoyed a lovely breakfast and lots of chatting with her. She told us a lot of family history and stories that we didn't know. It was fun to spend to quality time with Grandma.
Dusty and Grandma
At the restaurant we went to for breakfast, I couldn't help but notice the giant brownies, cookies and rice krispie treats for sale. It made me think of Sunday dinners with the Lybberts, where typically cake is served. For the last 6 years, I have constantly been telling them to give me a small piece of cake, and still I get one that is 4 inch by 4 inches and 2 inches high. It is now a bit of a joke, and I ask for a Poe size piece, which is about a quarter of a Lybbert piece (I just don't love cake that much). After seeing these, I assume it is more than a Lybbert thing, but more of a Moses Lake thing to have giant desserts.

No comments: