Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Girls Camp

My Mom is the Stake Young Women's President in her stake, and about a week before her girls camp, she gave me a call and asked if I could help be a leader. She wasn't sure where they were going to put me, but wanted me to go. I agreed, and started packing. Mom later informed that I would be with the 1st years; but then the morning I arrived, I was moved to the 4th years. There were only about 10 girls, but they were short a leader, and I was available to help.
Below is my group of 4th years.
Back row - Left to right - Sis. Marlatt, Me, Alice, Kendra, Adrian (YCL), Julie, another YCL, Terra, another YCL,
Front row - Desiree, Falon, Allysha, Ericka, Crystal, Megan
These 4th year girls are some of the most amazing girls I have ever know. I found out at the end of the camp that 2 of them were not members, and about half of them had never been to this camp, and didn't really know anyone when they got there. I also found that this group of girls had endured a lot in their personal lives, more than I would ever dream of at such a young age. It was so amazing to see these girls bond and grow together, include the misfits, and become one team. That is really what girls camp is all about. It is about being yourself, meeting others in a non threatening environment, growing together as a group, and individually.
Crystal and Megan

The theme of camp was Reflections of Christ - Do you have his image in your countenance? Some of the really cool things that they did at girls camp were the devotionals. They were so well planned and executed, I really looked forward to them. They also put together journals that walked you through not only the required certification reading, but other reading as well to help develop the theme of camp. They also had level lessons which were developed by the stake, and we talked about such items as a 4th year group that help develop Christ's image. This was a really great time for our level to bond.

Another favorite and probably my most favorite activity was the Christ's devotional. This is basically a fireside with only pictures and music, and journal writing regarding the presentation. I don't think I saw one dry in amidst all the camp, and I know that personally, this activity was more influential to me than any other.

Another favorite was ropes course. I had never participated or watched a ropes course. My Mom is a certified facilitator, and they took these girls to the ropes course. They had two tasks on hand include scaling a wall, and all members of the group had to go over, but once over, they could only help on the top of the wall. The other task was a falling activity, where one by one, the girls would fall backwards from a post, and the other girls would catch them. After the end of each task, they would talk about it, and relate these challenges to life. Throughout this whole activity, I was not able to say anything or interfere. I was in tears for parts of it, and tooks lots of pictures, but is so cool to see how such tasks really identified the leaders, difficulties, and personalities in each of the girls.
Crystal gets help from both above and below
Alice finally makes it over as the last person
Allysha ready to fall

The girls encouraging Alice to fall. She was terrified of the activity, but eventually with the support of the girls, she was finally able to trust them to catch her.
Mom even showed her bravery when she put her trust in the special girls to catch her.

Mom, as a tradition teaches the girls a very complex camp song each year. It is "A bear sat around with his foot on the log". It is a very fun song that was taught to me at camp from Joellyn. I am glad my Mom's stake can enjoy the fun too.
For Ward night, the Bishops came up to camp, and we had to lash a chair that the bishop would sit in for dinner. I joined my Mom's ward for the festivities, and Bishop came up and really took charge. He is a real lifelong boyscout, and he taught us some very interesting lashes and designed this beautiful Adirondack chair. He helped us though every step of the way, and I think it turned out great.
Bishop lounging in his chair

The ward with the Bishop
Sawing the wood so it was the right size.

Another super fun activity was the Iron Chef. This served as the certification requirement for cooking for the girls. They had to come up with a meal with the selected available ingredients, and cook it, and it was judged. We made a chicken and rice with mushroom gravy, and served apple cobbler for dessert. Unfortunately the cobbler took a lot longer than we had, so the judges got raw cobbler. Once it finished, it was absolutely delicious.
We also did some relay games with teams. Some of the objectives were to start a fire without matches. My team struggled a bit with the flint. They were forgetting to shave off the magnesium on the backside before they used the flint. We eventually did get it started with the help of a match.
Overall, it may have been last minute, and I may have been moved around initially, and I may have not known anyone there except Mom, and Aunt Mary (she was the life guard and stargazer), but I know that I ended up with the 4th years for a special purpose, and that was where I was supposed to be. I also know that even as a leader, girls camp may have been one of the strongest testimony building experiences I can remember, and it was exactly where I needed to be this summer. I am very thankful for the opportunity I had to go to camp. Thanks Mom for inviting me.

No comments: