Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother's Day

In the past, this day has always been a hard one.  There is nothing worse than having a holiday that you so badly want to be a part of, and can't.  It was filled with tears, flowers from church I didn't want to accept, and being told that even if you didn't have children, you were still a mother (just another phrase that does not bring comfort to those who desire motherhood). 

This year was finally different.  I will admit it was odd being able to stand in Sacrament meeting to accept my Mother's Day gift with a smile on my face as I got to hold my little Alice.  Tears were shed, not from sadness and despair, but of joy and amazement as I finally get to celebrate this wonderful holiday as a mother. 

This Mother's Day was extra special, because we spent it in Vancouver where my brother blessed my sweet niece Elliana.  We spent the day with family visiting, and I got to see many of the mothers and grandmothers I love.  It was a fabulous day, and I one I hope to never forget. 

I feel so privileged to be a mother, and I absolutely love it.  Yes, there are time when I don't want to get up in the middle of the night, but I am so grateful for the little girl that has been sent to our family.  It has brought us more joy that we ever could have imagined. 

As we were gone all day on Mother's Day, I received my gift yesterday.  I promised my husband I would not show pictures and be specific, but I will say that a well loved and very worn out treasure of his has finally been disposed of.  He figured that not only was it becoming a hazard due to it's well loved nature, but that he needed to be an example to his daughter, and sometimes things we are attached to just must go. 

When it went into the trash, I couldn't help but feel a little sadness for my husband, but I know how much he loves our family and it was time.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mother's, and hang in there to those still waiting.  

6 comments:

The Flemings said...

Shirlee, I am so happy for you nd your happiness. I know it feels good to be fulfilled in your duties of motherhood. Little alice is so precious and you glow with delight. It has been a long six years, enjoy every moment to the fullest and don't be too excited for the next phase, just enjoy the one you are in. love you♥

Three Lads and a Lis said...

happy mother's day sis - my heart was so full that day watching you hold that precious little girl.

Bravo Dust - I know that was hard for you!

Justin Glennon said...

I am so happy for you guys!! I can't wait to meet little Miss Alice. Take care guys!

{Alynn} said...

I hadn't heard that she was born yet! CONGRATULATIONS! Alice is just beautiful. Happy Mother's Day!

The Poe Family said...

It is amazing to see you as a mother now Shirl! I am so happy for you and Dusty!

Ashley Ann said...

I'm so happy for you! She is seriously so cute! Love all the hair!