Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Two Weeks Ago...

Our lives changed dramatically forever.  After 6 years of not so patiently waiting, Alice Patricia Lybbert joined our family.  Alice was born almost 3 weeks early on April 19, 2010 at 8:45 pm and weighed in at 6 pounds, 6 ounces and 18 inches long.  She is beautiful and has lots of dark hair. 

It all began the Thursday before when I went into the Dr. and they informed me I was about 3-4 cm dilated.  They put me on bedrest to prolong the pregnancy.  They said that if I went into labor they wouldn't stop it since I was so close to 37 weeks, but it would be best to wait as long as possible.

On Friday, I called my boss and told him the news, and he informed me they had planned a surprise baby shower for that day.  I broke the bedrest policy and went.  The shower was great, and they gave us some really great gifts. 

Dusty's work also had a shower that day, so I went to that as well.  Afterward, I was quite tired and gladly accepted bed rest. 

Saturday I took it easy, but did attend a potluck in our neighborhood.  I sat the whole time, but was glad to lay down when I got home.

Sunday I went to Sacrament meeting, and went home. 

Monday I stayed in bed all day.  I had some mild contractions throughout the day no closer than 10-11 minutes apart.  Nothing unusual from what I was experiencing the past few days or weeks.  Dusty came home around 7:00 with KFC which I requested.  I got up to go to the restroom before dinner and while I was going, I felt my water break.  I immediately panicked and we started gathering stuff for the hospital.  I talked to my sister who told me to relax and call the Dr.  I obeyed and just when I was about to talk to the hospital, my contractions changed and they got really close together and extremely painful.  They told us to come in.  We immediately left for the hospital, and I labored in the car on the way to the hospital. 

We had prepared ourselves for labor and childbirth through Bradley classes, but they didn't seem to be helping.  We finally arrived at the hospital around 8:00ish.  I had another contraction at the admission desk, and they bypassed the registration and took me straight to the labor and delivery room.  I finally got dressed and the nurses decided to check to see where I was, and they said "Oh, that is hair!".  They informed me that I was ready to push and I did.  The Dr. made it about 10-15 minutes before Alice was born. 

I successfully gave birth to Alice naturally at 8:45 with no drugs.  It was what I wanted, but it happened a little faster than I expected.  I was in shock after the birth, but with the help of an IV, which they started after she was born, and some food, I began to feel much better, 

My sister arrived about 7 minutes after the birth, and my mom and aunt arrived about 15 minutes later.  We were going to video the birth, but I told Dusty he could come back and get it after they checked me in.  As a result, we only have snap shots.

It was definitely a day I will always remember and cherish.  We are so happy that Alice has joined our family and we feel so blessed.  She is an amazing baby and we love her so much.  Here are some pictures of her birthday.

First Picture - Dr. just caught her
Time to be weighed 6lb 6oz - 18 in
First Family Photo

1 comment:

John and Bethany said...

Congratulations! We are so glad she is here safe and sound. Hope you all are doing well.