Pages

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Scottsdale, AZ

The evening of Father's day, I was fortunate to be able to fly out to Scottsdale, AZ.  My plane ended up being delayed a bit as the pilots were not on time, then they had some problems with the log book, so we left about an hour late.  When I got there, I had already scheduled a shuttle to pick me up in Phoenix to drive me to Scottsdale.  I call the shuttle people, and they said they it was too late and they couldn't pick me up.  I was a little frustrated, but just got a taxi instead.  I got to the conference center at about midnight and checked in.  

At Deloitte national training, you get to have a roommate for the first 5 years, and then when you become manager, you finally get your own room.  I absolutely despise roommates and felt bad that I would be waking up my roommate as I got in so late.  When I checked in, I found out that I didn't have a roommate.  I was so excited.  Perhaps it was because I checked in so late.  I didn't really care why, but I was thrilled.  

Anyways, the training was fine, though difficult to stay awake at times.  I guess I just don't find SFAS 157 (fair value measurement) that invigorating.  What did keep me awake, however, were the birds.  I am not sure why, but at the conference center, there were birds singing the entire time.  The first day, it was fun, but then when it kept going and going, it got a little old.

The weather was HOT!!!.  It was about 115 degrees every single day.  The classrooms were air conditioned, but lunch and breaks were outside.  I am not sure how people survive the summers in Phoenix.  It really made me appreciate the good old northwest.  On the way home, my plane was delayed again about 2.5 hours due to the heat.  Evidently, the plane could not cool down.  We pulled out after we had been sitting on the plane for about a hour to taxi to the runway, and about two minutes later we had to go back because the engines overheated again and needed to be cooled off.  It turned out to be a very long flight.  I was really glad that I had a new book (see next post).  

No comments: