Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Diaper Free

As a new mom.  I want to be as educated as I can.  I check out lots of library books about babies on subjects as calming them, helping them sleep, baby sign language, and more.  One subject I have researched is Natural Infant Hygiene or Elimination Communication.  My favorite book is Diaper Free by Ingrid Bauer. 

It is basically getting to know your baby so that you can help her with her elimination needs.  Just like you know what your baby does when she is hungry, or sleepy, or needs some cuddle, you also know when she needs to go.  If you can know when she is needs to go, you simply undress them and hold them over a receptacle so that she can go in the receptacle instead of her diaper. 

I know it sounds a bit odd, but we thought we would give it a try, and it has worked for us.  We have better days than others, and times when I can pay more attention, but she will go in her little potty, and it is certainly easier to clean up a potty than wash a diaper.

We have also noticed a difference in her bowel movements.  She was very infrequent sometimes going 8 days between movements.  In the past couple weeks, since holding her over the toilet, the frequency has increased now to about once every day or two.  We can usually catch them in the toilet, and I have found that to be quite nice.  Hopefully, we will continue to have more good days.



Alice still wears a diaper regularly, but who knows, maybe someday we will go a whole day diaper free.

3 comments:

Three Lads and a Lis said...

you're my hero! But I still swear that it's easier with girls than boys, lol! No rainbows to deal with :)!!!

I hearby declare that I will make a better attempt with baby #3 whenever he or she may arrive.

Maria said...

i say go for it! esp. if she has few poopy diapers!

Seth & Courtney said...

The picture on the potty is too cute. All three of my boys have that BYU shirt too. So cute on Alice! And I had to chuckle that a bottle of resolve is in the background, ready to tackle a not so good day. I so understand!