Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Fruits of thy Labor

On my labor day this year, I ventured into a new project.  It was long, it was exciting, and most of all it was (or will be) YUMMY.  I canned fruit.  I did 26 quarts of peaches, 14 quarts of pears, and 6 quarts of applesauce.  We borrowed a pressure cooker, and some jars from Dusty's Mom, and went to work.

I learned a few things about canning that I found very interesting.
  • It takes a long time (or I am just slow)
  • It is more fun when there are a couple people
  • Your feet hurt after a while of standing in the kitchen
  • Babies don't like being ignored even though you have peach juice and sugar all over your hands
  • Blanching is amazing
  • Salt and vinegar keep pears from browning
  • It is hard to stuff fruit into jars tight enough
  • The whole process uses lots of pots and leaves everything sticky

Dusty helped peel and slice the peaches, and peeled a few pears.

Here is the finished product (applesauce not pictured)

I am very excited to eat all the yummy fruit.  And I plan on doing more in the years to come.

4 comments:

The Flemings said...

Shirl, i love it! Canning is so fun and rewarding. I did a ton last year, but did not have the time this year. Love ya :-)

Ashley Ann said...

I'm impressed!

Three Lads and a Lis said...

awesome!!! Now that you know how to do it, wanna help me next summer? :)

LunaMoonbeam said...

Awesome! My sister and I put up 60 pounds of peaches this year. 26 quarts of peaches, 18 pints of jam, 3 pints of peach butter plus about 10 pounds of frozen, bagged peaches for cobblers. Mmmm.