Pages

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Pre-Pregnancy Goals

When I got married over 7 years ago, I was at a weight that was healthy.  I thought I needed to lose another 10 lbs, but who doesn't.  Shortly after we were married, I took a job that sat at a desk.  By Christmas I was up about 10 lbs, and by the next summer, I was up another 10.  I then took a job working at a desk and lots of extra hours.  I gradually over about 5 years put on another 15 lbs.  I yo-yo'd between 145 and 160 for a long time.

Dusty and I both knew we were overweight and set some real goals, that were difficult, but reasonable with some real rewards.  My reward was that we would sign up for adoption.  When I got laid off, I worked to get my whole life back on track.  Part of that was my weight.  I worked hard last summer and I reached my goal (which was 10 lbs above my wedding weight).  Just as I reached my goal, I found out I was pregnant.  My reward was met somewhat, but for a time, put on hold.

I was super happy to be pregnant, but I also knew that just as I reached my goal, it would go away very quickly.  
While I was pregnant, I don't think I ever got huge.  I felt huge, but looking at pictures, I wasn't very big.  Maybe it was due to the extra room inside my belly from the missing organs, or perhaps, Alice was just compact.  Nonetheless, I didn't look huge. 

Despite my looks, I did gain weight.  I gained about 30 lbs.  I think I lost a little just before she was born, but I gained a fair amount.  I was prepared to be wearing maternity clothes for many weeks, and that it would take about 9 months to a year to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight, which was hard to get to in the first place.

I am not sure if it is due to nursing, or walking up and down the stairs more to change diapers, check on Alice, etc, but I pleased to say that I was back to my goal weight a few weeks ago, and now am about 4 lbs under.  I have not weighed this little in seven years. 

I think my shape is still a little different than it was seven years ago, but I am okay with that.  I am going to try to lose another 10 lbs, and keep staying healthy.  I feel it is very important to be healthy for Alice, and any other future children we may have either through adoption or pregnancy.  Being at a low weight will definitely help manage my PCOS and our hopes for me to carry another child. 

1 comment:

Cara said...

Way to go!! I need to get serious about losing my pregnancy (and then some) weight! Brooklynn and I are always available for walks!